23 November 2011

Roofing!

Yep, I mean it.
Background: We are building a greenhouse.  Not like those ones with the plastic pipes and clear plastic wrap over top.  This is basically going to be a building that happens to be half clear plastic.  We wanted to make something that would stand the test of time and hold up against the santa ana winds that tear through us.  It's probably overkill but at least I have confidence that it won't spend years in a pile of stuff that needs to go to the dump because something broke and TF won't fix it.  We have been racing to get the roof done before more rain comes our way so I got to be in charge of shingling!  I had no idea how to do it but some quick googling and planning with my project manager and now I think I could go pro.  Ok, maybe not totally pro.  But I think I'm pretty good at it.

Before shingles you need to put down a layer of plywood followed by a layer of felt.  The felt needs to be rolled out so that the upper pieces overlap the lower rows.  The whole idea is to keep rain from getting in and rotting the plywood so overlapping helps make sure that can't happen.  There also needs to be a metal corner piece that hangs over the edge to repel water.  This is what it looks like with felt, metal bits, and the beginning of shingling:

I know it's wavy... did I mention it was my first time?
Now for the shingles!  This is where I should mention that we didn't exactly follow instructions.  The different advice columns suggested starting from the middle and snapping chalk lines.  We started from the side where it was more visible and I just used a tape measurer to make sure we were in line.

Ok, NOW the fun stuff.  The starter row is actually a bunch of 3 tab shingles with the tabs cut off.  These are placed hanging over the edges by 5/8s of an inch with the sticky stuff down.  This way a seal is formed so water can't get up under the tabs.  Give each starter shingle 3 solid nails and then you're ready to lay full shingles.  The first row ends directly on the starter shingles, 5/8" overhanging the roof edges.  These should be nailed down about a half inch above the top of the slots and at each side.  (I know thats not how it is in my pictures, remember the learning curve!)  Four nails each just above the slots ensures the nails won't be seen through the next row's slots and each shingle will get 2 sets of nails.

Starter row and first row.

That is how to get started with installing 3 tab shingle roofing.  There is more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment